Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Critical Reflection

When I first entered this module, I was quite worried as I lacked confidence in speaking due to my poor communication skills, so I have set a goal to become a better version of myself than I was yesterday. Some key learning from this module, such as boosting my confidence, which is currently one of my main goals as I feel having confident it enables me to be able to face the issue more effective. Also, I feel that by reading the lesson slides out loud in class, this has created an opportunity for me to make mistakes and learn along the way which enables me to improve and be better prepared for any presentations in the future. Moreover, I have learned a more professional way of writing reports and preparing slides, such as ensuring parallel structure in the slides. One of the things that I have learned is to use the 7 edition APA citation style as it is a widely accepted and standardized way to cite sources in academic writing. It is also one of the requirements, and it is important in academic writing or reports as it helps to ensure that the report is credible, accessible, and avoids plagiarism. Regarding communication in class, I still need time to improve my communication skills by avoiding using Singlish when speaking or presenting and being more confident when speaking to larger groups.

This module has taught me about critical thinking and critical reflection. Critical thinking refers to making assumptions based on evidence and logical reasoning. Meanwhile critical reflection means looking at different points of view and having an open mind take can take in new ideas. Hence, with these skills that I learned, it will enable me to make better decisions and be more aware of my assumptions.

Here are some thoughts on having a group project in this module. As it has been a challenging 13 weeks with quizzes, assessments, projects, and lab reports to be submitted in between this tight schedule, this has taught me the importance of planning and time management. As this module has a group project that required us to present as a team, it allowed me to work with people from different backgrounds and learn to handle or resolve problems in a group. Furthermore, as a group leader, understanding each member's strengths and weaknesses helped me assign tasks according to their abilities which allow them to perform to their best ability. With this understanding this will create a stronger group bonding thought better communication.

This presentation have given me a opportunity to improve my presentation skills by presenting my research study to my peers. I would classify this as the most difficult skill to enhance as this type of opportunity does not come often in our current courses, and it is a very important and essential skill to have in order to better adapt to the outside world. Also, This have had gave me the opportunity to learn, unlearn, and relearn. Some key learnings from the presentation included using hand gestures, proper posture, and keeping the audience engaged by asking relevant questions to hook their attention. I also need to unlearn things like using Singlish, as it sounds unprofessional in a formal meeting, and relearn proper body language and maintaining eye contact when presenting. There is room for improvement, such as using space effectively when presenting and engaging the audience with more confidence.

Through this module, this has taught me the importance of using a professional tone and format. It has also increased my confidence in presenting to others and key stakeholders in the future. I also learn the ability to convey complex ideas and information to be short and clear. These skills will benefit me in both my future workplace and personal life which enables me to improve my personality and the ability to work as a team. In addition, this module has taught me the importance of being an active listener and constantly getting feedback as life is a non-stop journey. In short, With the valuable skills and knowledge I have gained from this module, I believe this will help me in my future projects and career advancement.

No comments:

Post a Comment